Despite the choices I was given in clinic I knew that surgery was going to be the best one. So honoring myself, I signed the consent and took a deep breath. More hardware was in store, oh boy. Notifying mom and dad wasn't easy. I knew they weren't going to take it too well. Their first instinct was to jump on a plane and come to my rescue. But this time, I felt like it was something I had to do on my own. Saying that I would be doing it alone wasn't true because I had plenty of people down in West Palm Beach who were more than willing to lend me a helping hand. After making a few phone calls and talking with the clinic staff, I had a tentative plan for Monday. Until then, my mission was to have fun.
After the appointment and breaking the news to mom and dad, I met up with Rachel, an amazing friend who is a nurse at St. Mary's. We revisited our favorite stomping grounds for dinner, Relish; quite possibly the most delicious milkshakes on the planet. Banana's Foster, yum! So delicious. There is no better way to cure a crappy day than with an amazing milkshake and good company. As always, it was so god to catch up with Rachel. Pooped from the long drive, it was then a very early bedtime.
![]() |
| Yum ;) |
All of the patients who raised $1000.00 for the Paley Foundation were invited to a party at Dr. Paley's house. I had a lot of fun. His house is beautiful; right in the intercoastal waterway. They had valet parking and the even was catered. Patients and staff were there and I enjoyed catching up with everyone.
| Dr. Paley, Liddy and I |
| Palm Beach Gardens |
Monday morning came pretty quickly and I managed to find my game face. Michelle from Homewood Suites gave me a lift to St. Mary's. The only positive part of the whole pre-op thing was being able to say hi to all of the staff that I hadn't seen since my removal in November. Rachel was working up on Waters 3 that day so she came down to say hello. I was the last case of the day so I knew that it was going to be a bit of a wait. Thankfully Dr. James was on duty that day, the greatest anesthesiologist out there, she came right over and cleared me to get some happy meds. After that point, things get a little foggy. Jennifer came in to check on my and she was also going to be my ride home later that afternoon. By 1:00PM I was getting wheeled back into the OR. Nothing prepared me for what I was going to wake-up to.
![]() |
| Before |
It tires me out just thinking about the whole endeavor. Needless to say, after many doses of morphine, a shot of something in my arm and a whole lot of crying, they kept me overnight for observation. My parents received phone calls from Jennifer, Servando AND Rachel to ensure them that I was going to be ok. The next day I was discharged back to Homewood Suites. Rachel came and stayed the night to keep an eye on me, bless her heart. Wednesday I did a whole lot of nothing until I managed to make it out of the hotel room to go hangout on Rachel's couch and watch TV. Big things. Just moving around made me feel a little better and I decided that I was going to aim to leave the next morning and drive back to Charleston. All I wanted was my Charleston family and my own bed. It had to happen.
After a quick check-up on Thursday morning in clinic, I was cleared to go home. The 8 hour drive is a little bit of a blur, but I made it.
Love.




No comments:
Post a Comment